Re: Neumann KM183 and Telinga Universal

Subject: Re: Neumann KM183 and Telinga Universal
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:15 am ((PDT))
1 / Nature recording and aircrafts? Soltution: Less aircrafts?!
Recommendation: Yes low-cut filtering is a good start.

2 / Focal point: my recommendation is 11-12 cm from the center hole
of the dish no matter
which microphone you use. Recommendation: start with using a portable
constant sound source
such as a FM-transmitter or such, listen and try different positions
with the microphone until
you have the sound character and frequency response desired.

Cannot answer what is a "correct sound" with a parabola - but I would
say (in general) you get better frequency response from using a
cardioid, though - personally I would use a omni mic because I prefer
the character of the sound, which to me sounds more "natural", even
when recording high frequency sounds as grasshoppers.

If the task was gathering "impressive" sound effects or for
experimental use I would prefer a cardioid.

Daan Hendriks who purchased a Universal just a few months ago (not
connected with Telinga)
got some good examples of the new Universal MK2 online here (with
different mic placements)
both omni and cardioids.

https://soundcloud.com/daan-hendriks/sets/uk-wildlife

Hope this helps!

/Jon Strandberg
Telinga Microphones

At 16:27 2014-08-12, you wrote:

>Jon,Indeed I did get it from Richard and Julia at Augur. I'd figured
>out those recommendations for myself, but I'm looking forward to
>seeing the new user guides.One thing that's still puzzling me is:
>how do you tell that the microphone is at the focal point? Is there
>conclusive proof that the sound is "correct" for that particular
>dish and mike combination - does the sound pop into focus like a
>lens?For the moment I've set it by using a tape measure to record
>the outside length of the zeppelin (14.8cm), and then pushing the
>mike through until it sits at about 12cm. I noticed when trying the
>dish out for the first time that the sound of aircraft was being
>picked up no matter which direction the mike was pointed and yet the
>positioning for a grasshopper had to be very accurate and probably
>best done with a tripod. All of which I understand is what a
>parabolic reflector gives you - low frequency is omni-directional,
>and high frequency is super-cardioid. A low cut filter in Apple
>Soundtrack did the trick with the bass.ThanksNick

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email: