Re: lack of insect singing in upper midwest of US

Subject: Re: lack of insect singing in upper midwest of US
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am ((PDT))
Aside from the loss of entire terrestrial and marine soundscapes and the ch=
anges that have occurred by shifting climate =96 i. e. the N. American appe=
arance of spring 2 - 3 weeks earlier than the early 90s =96 which affects d=
ensity and diversity of wildlife across its entire spectrum of organisms on=
 land; and warming waters with its acidification, pollution (noise & chemic=
al runoff) and salinity problems in the oceans of the world, especially ove=
r the past 25 years, nearly everything is changing.

Well over 50% of my archive =96 where I began capturing whole soundscapes s=
ince 1968 =96 comes from habitats so seriously compromised that they are no=
w either pretty much biophonically silent or have changed their texture(s) =
so radically that their signature is no longer recognizable. Because of the=
 California drought, the worst in over 400 years, we only heard two or thre=
e Pacific tree frogs from December through February this past winger=85typi=
cally the most abundant frog-voice time of the year. Dusk evening choruses =
of crickets and other insects had begun in late May, fully 3 months before =
their usual onset in late August.

In 1981, when I did an early F-1 digital spring recording at the foot of th=
e Tetons in Wyoming, the dawn chorus combo consisted of warbling vireo, yel=
low warbler white-crowned sparrow, Wilson's warbler, house wren, dusky flyc=
atcher. In 2009, when I returned to the same spot at the same time of year,=
 the grouping consisted of hermit thrush, Swainson=92s thrush, cowbird, gro=
sbeak, yellow-rumped qarbler, dark-eyed junco, chipping sparrow, white-crow=
ned sparrow and there was far less density. Locals told us stories that the=
 natural soundscapes were now unrecognizable from the time of their respect=
ive childhoods in the late 50s early 60s.

Bernie Krause

On Jul 21, 2014, at 6:43 PM, Klas Strandberg  [naturereco=
rdists] <> wrote:

> Whatever, Rob, I think your question is about the most important kind of =
question that we can ask for now.

> Here at Telinga, I have recorded "soundscapes" since 1995. The number of =
birds around have lowered to about a third over the last ten years. All I n=
eed to do is count what is on my recordings. Some losses (doves, woodpecker=
s, starlings) can be explained by looking at the number of hollow trees tha=
t are gone with the forest companies and changing agricultural methods (ort=
olan bunting) - other looses have no explanation that I can understand. =

> Klas.
>
>  At 23:18 2014-07-19, you wrote:
>> Hi--
>>
>> Thanks everyone.
>>
>> Not likely to be sprays at this location. I agree with Vicky that every =
year has its own personality. Its a very lush summer so far; rain has been =
good. A few years ago early and extended warmth led to several additional g=
enerations of hatches during the summer.

>> No large grasshoppers here like Curt describes. Mosquitos below average =
(considering our rain), gnats above average, fireflies average.  Frogs are =
no longer calling-- not even greens and gray tree frogs. No Katydids, no ci=
cadas-- just marginal field crickets and some moths. My sister drove up fro=
m Arkansas (from the south) last week; her car had lots of insects on the g=
rille.

>> I ran through my log mentions over the last few years. Cicadas usually s=
tart singing by now with field crickets established and katydids coming on.=
 I'm at a warmer latitude than Curt-- about the same as Greg,

>> It does have a creepy "silent spring" impact to hear utter silence at ni=
ght in July.  My guess is some local uniqueness from the effects of the col=
der nights.

ecordists] wrote:

>> > We just got back from a couple days in St. Louis County, MN, north of =
Duluth. We heard some those grasshoppers that make a loud crackling sound w=
hen they fly (sorry folks, I don't know their name). Plenty of fireflies...=
 and biting flies... and mosquitoes, of course! It all seemed pretty normal=
 for mid-July in northern MN. I expect the racket should be increasing a lo=
t over the next couple weeks.

>> > Curt Olson
>> > MinnesotaSoundscapes.com

stretches of really warm days/nights.

r nothing except a single cricket chirp for 2-4 seconds and maybe again in =
15 minutes,..

>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> "While a picture is worth a thousand words, a
>> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause=
.

>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Yahoo Groups Links
>>

> Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,