Re: lack of insect singing in upper midwest of US

Subject: Re: lack of insect singing in upper midwest of US
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:30 pm ((PDT))
Hi Greg--

Ample toad population here too but they aren't singing. More and hungrier t=
han usual birds.

The orioles got here 2 weeks before the fruit trees (sort of) blossomed and=
 were all over the feeders instead of eating in the woods. People love orio=
les so much one couldn't find a jar of grape jelly or an orange in the groc=
ery stores all spring.

Maybe part of it could be birds feeding on insects earlier and diminishing =
later hatches.

On Jul 19, 2014, at 12:37 AM, Gregory O'Drobinak  =
[naturerecordists] wrote:

> One thing that I should add is the preponderance of many small, dark (nea=
rly black in color) toads in our lawn.

> I never noticed this before.
>
> And the deer are voracio us about eating our flowers!!
>
> Best,
> Greg O.

naturerecordist >

 night in an undisturbed prairie area. I do find this somewhat unsettling.

> It's been cool ( almost cold ) this year and I have had a fungus growth w=
hich has decimated about half of my lawn due to the lack of sun and the ver=
y wet weather.
> Never had a problem with this since 1994.
>
> The only insects that seem to be somewhat normal are the mosquitos ad the=
 fireflies.
> I also have a silver maple that has some strange growth issues and is she=
dding some bark.

> We do have a few cicadas, but nothing like last year.
>
> As for songbirds, there are mainly robins and red-winged blackbirds, but =
they are mainly here because of the marsh areas in the Dunes National Lakes=
hore.