2. Re: Anthropophony redux

Subject: 2. Re: Anthropophony redux
From: "Gianni Pavan" gpavan1960
Date: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:47 am ((PDT))
yes, low frequency sounds extending into the infra sounds realm are
considered anthropogenic noise, and thus they are a component of the
anthropophony. Ship traffic is the main source and produce the masking of
large marine mammals signals.

Concerning infra sounds and the debate about the boundaries of the concept
of "sound" it is important to say that human beings (and animals too) are
sensitive to infra sounds even if not perceived with ears. The perception
of infra sounds can be "physical" with the whole body or with a partial
perception through ears and often this type of low frequencies produces
discomfort. Often the receiver is not aware of what is happening, he only
feels bad (e.g.  nausea). This sometimes happen close to wind farms, but
very few studies focus on infra sounds and the beats of multiple infrasound
sources. I recently attended a conference session on the measure of wind
farm noises (on land, not marine) and all studies presented were made with
phonometers with the "A" weighting curve. Some hearing test were made with
headphones, completely forgetting the ability to perceive infra sounds with
the body.

Gianni

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universit=C3=A0 degli Studi di Pavia