2. Re: Anthropophony redux

Subject: 2. Re: Anthropophony redux
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:50 am ((PDT))
Frankly, I don=92t particularly care one way or the other since context is =
everything. Think the americanization and appropriation of the term, =93awe=
some.=94

But now that I know the correct etymological roots of the word, I=92m afrai=
d I=92ll just have to muddle through with the appropriate 5-syllable versio=
n, since it has been correctly translated into the Latin language versions =
(Portuguese and French) well before it was called to my attention as an iss=
ue. So stick to whatever makes one comfortable. But I=92d recommend not try=
ing to publish a peer-reviewed science paper in a legit publication with th=
e word, anthrophony, representing human-generated sound.

Bernie Krause

On Jun 28, 2014, at 2:41 PM, John Crockett  [naturerecordist=
s] <> wrote:

> Something similar happened with the suborder name for the baleen whales -=
 "mysticete." That name goes back to Aristotle, and is generally translated=
 as "moustached whale" referring to the rack of baleen hanging from the upp=
er jaw. In the 1800s it was pointed out that "mysticete" came from a phrase=
 in Aristotle's "History of Animals" that literally translated as "the whal=
e known as the mouse (o mus to ketos)". A new name was created - "mystacoce=
te" - to more closely follow the Greek word for moustache, which I believe =
is "moustaki" (Greek speakers please correct me if I got that wrong).  "Mys=
tacocete" did not catch on, "mysticete" is the accepted form, and nearly ev=
eryone translates it as "moustached whale" even though that etymology is te=
chnically incorrect.

> I'm going to use "anthropophony" because I actually care about these thin=
gs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see "anthrophony" stick around, especial=
ly since it is similar to "geophony" and "biophony" in having four syllable=
s. They make a neat trio, however much "anthrophony" might grate on the lin=
guistic nerves of those who know better. In future we may even have to live=
 with a false etymology having to do with the "sounds of cave dwellers." Yo=
u may think I'm kidding, but that's what came out of the mouth of a friend =
to whom I was explaining this problem.

ts] wrote:

>> Bernie,
>> I like "anthropophony," and it may be an appropriate correction from "an=
throphony,"  but I am wondering now, is it a little too late? - especially =
after years of your public promotions. In a way, it reminds me of the techn=
ical name change from "Pacific tree frog" to "Pacific chorus frog." Almost =
everyone still says "tree frog." You kind of have to allow what has become =
popular, even when another way has been shown to be technically better suit=
ed.

>> John Hartog
>> rockscallop.org

Wild Sanctuary