Re: Dialogic Form & bats

Subject: Re: Dialogic Form & bats
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sat May 17, 2014 5:12 pm ((PDT))
That link just returns a database error for me, Chad.=0D
=0D
Peter Shute=0D
=0D
Sent from my iPad=0D
=0D
On 18 May 2014, at 2:05 am, "CHAD CLIFFORD <mailt=
o:> [naturerecordists]" <=
oups.com<>> wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
Thanks much David.  That sounds very interesting!  The prices are affordabl=
e for those too.  I will have to check out some videos of these in use as  =
i look into it  more.=0D
=0D
Otherwise, I have been interested in the EchoMeterTouch that plugs into an =
iPad or phone etc. for viewing and listening abilities.  Any ideas about th=
is product?--I don't believe it has been out long.   (http://www.wildlifeac=
oustics.com/products/echo-meter-touch) .=0D
=0D
Chad=0D
=0D
On 2014-05-17, at 9:14 AM, <> =
[naturerecordists] wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
> Went to an interesting research talk this week on acoustics "caterpillars=
 talk, butterflies listen" by Jayne Yack. While many moths can hear, only a=
 few butterflies can. It was once believed that butterflies could not hear =
and they were/are used as a symbol by some deaf communities. The moths are =
able to hear the calls of bats.=0D
=0D
Chad,=0D
=0D
When I got involved in bat conservation, I discovered the new world of=0D
ultrasound. Normally we are not aware of this but even a cheap heterodyne=
=0D
bat detector opens up this whole new soundscape. First off you often find=
=0D
ultrasonic crickets interfering with the bat calls and also hear the high=
=0D
harmonics many songbirds produce in their calls.=0D
=0D
Ciel make a stereo heterodyne detector which is a bit awkward to use but it=
=0D
gives interesting results. I am currently studying horseshoe bats which pee=
p=0D
rather than click (CF calls as opposed to FM) and they warble when flying=
=0D
due to the Doppler shifts which are exaggerated by the heterodyne frequency=
=0D
shift.=0D
=0D
For more info look at Wikipedia "Bat detector" (which I expanded some time=
=0D
ago) for the different types.=0D
=0D
David Brinicombe=0D