Re: The new nagra seven and 4 inputs

Subject: Re: The new nagra seven and 4 inputs
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu Mar 6, 2014 9:19 am ((PST))
> As I can undestand with a four track recorder I can put the four mics at =
the same distance from the source and the time difference is no problem whe=
n mixing. Am I right? If I am right, wich I don't know, when recording with=
 four microphones in the field it is very important that they are at the sa=
me distance from the source?

I record with four microphones on four tracks as my standard setup. Since t=
he source is a complex soundscape, there is no consideration of distances f=
rom the source. I array the microphones to create the illusion of space tha=
t I desire.

My usual procedure is to use a Jecklin Disc for the front pair of channels.=
 This creates an imaging panorama across the front stereo speakers. I space=
 my two rear channel mikes widely, around 70 feet apart. I don't have a fix=
ed formula for this; I position them where I think they'll pick up sounds t=
o fill in the rear of the space appropriately.

-Dan