Re: use of birdsong playback

Subject: Re: use of birdsong playback
From: "Eric Fassbender" eric.fassbender
Date: Sun Jan 5, 2014 3:50 am ((PST))
I think that people who visit National Parks are usually people who respect=
 nature and so rather than patrolling it, I would just add a note to every =
National Park entrance/info sign that says "Please do not use your mobile p=
hones or any other device to mimic bird calls or attract birds. It disturbs=
 the natural behaviour of all animals in the park".

Sure, you won't get everyone but it would raise awareness and people would =
certainly not do it in the presence of others because while humans like to =
break rules they only do so if they are not seen by others. And the fear of=
 getting seen by other hikers may be enough to restrict the usage to just a=
 few minutes, if that.

I have done it in the past to identify a bird but at that time I hadn't tho=
ught about the implications. Today I would probably not do it, even if that=
 means that I won't get a recording. But then the academic in me says "How =
do we know what impact it really has on the birds and other animals?". Now =
isn't that a great research topic for an ornithology PhD student :D 4 years=
 of government financed studies on a highly contemporary topic. What PhD st=
udent would not want to do that ;D

Cheers,

Eric

nuw.org.au>> wrote:

> I think this is a growing problem, and that there's no simple answer to i=
t.

> In the last few years, more and more people I know have demonstrated thei=
r ability to have a species call playing in seconds, usually to listen to, =
but occasionally to call in birds. Prior to that, I only met the occasional=
 person prepared to lug around a set of tapes or CDs, and they had such dif=
ficulty locating the right track that they usually didn't bother. Now, not =
only are tracks quick to find on the phone that so many people carry, they'=
re a fraction of the price of the old CDs sets.

> I suspect that while it's likely that overuse can cause problems, it's ok=
 in moderation, and that this is obvious enough to users of it that the sug=
gestions of bans will be met with derision.

> The problem as I see it is that no single person can determine what expos=
ure a bird has had to playback. It's not enough for me to know that I only =
visit a site once a year and only ever use playback for one minute. I need =
to know how many others are doing it, and I can't know that, I can only gue=
ss. I fear that some people will interpret the fact that they have never se=
en anyone else at a particular site as an indication that it's rarely visit=
ed.

> If we accept that complete bans will be ignored and unenforceable, is the=
 only option to teach people how to use it intelligently and responsibly, a=
nd perhaps have local bans in some places? But will teaching people how to =
do it encourage so many more people to do it that it just makes the problem=
 worse? And if usage is spreading from birders to hunters, is the concept o=
f responsible use valid any more?

> Peter Shute
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 4 Jan 2014, at 3:04 am, "<><mai=
lto:>" <<><or=
>> wrote:
>

> The Wall St Journal has an article describing the increasing use of birds=
ong playback to lure birds into view.

> http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304244904579276551350=
667062

> Smartphone apps that include recordings of birdsong are common and inexpe=
nsive. Guides to birdsong used to be expensive, and published in CD format.=
 Few birders went to the effort to copy the recorded material to a more por=
table form. Today, birding field guides are offered for smartphones and tab=
lets. This makes birdsong playback in the field a simple matter.

> Some authorities say frequent playback of birdsong can be detrimental to =
the targeted bird species, particularly to rare species that occur in a lim=
ited area. Others say it's no problem. One professional birding guide I kno=
w says it's actually beneficial, since the male bird appears to vanquish th=
e mechanical intruder. But he works in remote areas in South America, where=
 birds are rarely exposed to playback.