Re: some questions about equipments.

Subject: Re: some questions about equipments.
From: madl74
Date: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:18 am ((PDT))
> Its time to make an upgrade of my recording equipment.
> I am think jumping to  a surround arrai, (double ms), using a mkh 30 with two
> mkh40. (i am not readi to schoeps sistems yet) So, I believe that was Martyn
> used this kind of mics to make the double ms, can you explain how to mount
> the sistem?

Juan,

This sounds a fun project. As always, I would advise experimenting by moving
sound objects or moving the mic rig, to see what various arrangements sound
like. I would start off with a Schoeps type layout, but you need to get the
capsules close when using sum and difference processing.

Here's some simple technical theory. Stereo placement is mainly below 10kHz,
and the wavelength of sound at 10kHz is about 3cm, so you need too get the
capsules closer than around that distance.

On the Double M-S, Schoeps put the fig-8 mica at 90deg, but you could try
varying that angle.

Mounts can be made from aluminium tubing or thin rod, screwed and/or glued
and using hat elastic to hold the mic clips but don't let them hit each
other. On the double M/S, Schoeps mount the mics rigidly and suspend that
rig on elastic.

Have a look on the Schoeps page at:
http://www.schoeps.de/en/downloads/catalogues_and_brochures

stereo-recording-techniques-e.pdf