Re: NR and echoes

Subject: Re: NR and echoes
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:50 am ((PDT))
Hi Hayken
Firstly, sorry about the spelling of your name; it's how my computer transl=
ates it!
Secondly, I offer no answer to your question about the recording, just a st=
atement; I love it! How lucky you are to be able to visit such a wonderful =
location.
Very many thanks for sharing
Cheers
Max

--- In  "NordicNature" <> =
wrote:

> Hi!
> How do you all reduce noise in a recording that has echoes?
> The first thing that disappear when reducing noise is the echo of the sou=
nds. At least it feels like that... :)
> I just try to avoid NR when there is echo in a nature recording, but some=
times you aren't close enough to the source so you want to increase gain in=
 post, but then you will get a lot of noise (depending on how quiet your mi=
crophones are of course).

> Here is one edited example where some of the echoes is affected by NR. ht=
tps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11642050/130813_692_st12_storlom_edited.m=
p3

> This was a fast edit that took only a minute or so.
> Increase gain 5db
> Noise Reduction 5db
> EQ low cut
> Fade in/out

> The recording is made in the middle of Sweden at the edge of a lake in a =
boreal forest and wetland area at night, and it is loons in the lake that y=
ou hear most. A forest mice is close to the mic running around.
> I usually have the mic close to the ground, but I tried to avoid to much =
noise from forest mice so I used a gorilla pod to attach the microphone on =
a branch around 180cm above ground and close to the water.

> My basic question is, can you increase gain and reduce noise without dest=
roying the echoes?

> If someone wants to have a go at it (increase gain, reduce noise, echoes =
intact), contact me off list and I can send the original wav file.