Re: Microphone self-noise versus background noise

Subject: Re: Microphone self-noise versus background noise
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 am ((PDT))
Hi norman,

I need too simplify this and disregard the sound character of ME and MKH:

If you  put a pair of ME62 beside a pair of MKH20 outside my house,
at this time of the year, the noise from both mic pairs will drown in
noise from aspen leaves.
But if the aspen leaves calm down, the mic noise will not drown in
the noise from a bypassing car, even if the car noise is much louder
than the aspen leaves. The difference between the car noise and mic
noise would be too big. The mic noise would come on top of the car
noise, added to it.
"Masking" is a question of both level and freq. spectrum.

If it was totally quiet around, only the very distant traffic noise,
you would certainly hear the inherent noise difference between ME and MKH.

Klas.