Re: Microphone self-noise versus background noise

Subject: Re: Microphone self-noise versus background noise
From: "Norman Davies" nrdavies.jim71
Date: Mon May 20, 2013 2:49 pm ((PDT))
hi, I'm going to "stick my thought knife right into this subject", it's bee=
n boggling my mind for ages as I've read lots of posts here from some very =
well educated thinkers.

As I hear it, I'm always listening to a full combine of sound energy. I've =
tried differentiating between "thresholds" of induced noise levels, and I'v=
e tried separately being mathematical about it too, I really have.

My problem with the educated logic I've heard so far is that as I see it, w=
hen I'm listening to the energy entering my ears, I'm only aware of=A0 the =
total additive mass of=A0 it.

For me, noise masking is an academic dead end. I understand, from the princ=
iples of 'data reduced' audio storage formats, that there are psychoacustic=
 factors that can be bundled up into theoretical sumations of reproduction =
perception.=A0 I get the idea that we can be fooled.

I also get the idea that I'm sick and fed up of being fooled, too.

I can't, for the life of me, see how a "noise" threshold level, at any meas=
ure below any other threshold level, can just be dismissed as incalculable.=
 For me, that's academic idiocy.

If you can hear it, it noise.

The fact that there are other noises in the spectrum, doesn't mask anything=
. It's additive. If an orchestra of "noises" played together, would you ign=
ore all but the loudest=A0 component ?

I don't think so.

norman.