Re: The lowest frequency sound know from any bird.......

Subject: Re: The lowest frequency sound know from any bird.......
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 am ((PDT))
I find the discussion of low-frequency sounds by birds interesting. In the =
literature there is information about the syrinx and the ability of some bi=
rds to generate sounds below what one might expect.
Working with my macaw, I notice that her speech contains elements down to a=
bout 38 Hz. I am not sure whether some of the frequencies are digital artif=
acts; however, the sounds have a low-frequency characteristic.
=A0
There is a problem with such sounds, because without a great number of high=
 harmonics, most people are at a complete loss to decode the fundamental so=
unds, which represent words. No matter what analysis is applied, I am findi=
ng that most people, including some nature recordists, are not very good at=
 perceiving their own language spoken with an unusual timbre.
=A0
Very surprising to me initially, I've now accepted that listening is a lear=
ned talent that few people attempt. For now that puts me out in left field =
without a paddle.
=A0
Mike
Florida