Re: inverting a track on a stereo recording to increase gain....huh?

Subject: Re: inverting a track on a stereo recording to increase gain....huh?
From: "lamprophis1963" lamprophis1963
Date: Mon May 6, 2013 6:37 am ((PDT))

> What is the actual problem you have with the gain?
> Is it too low, then why don't just amplify your track.

I cannot amplify the sound to a useful level.

> The way you put it does not quite make sense to me. What is your concept of
> gain?

I just mean the output volume of the recording.

> Usually inverting means inverting the phase. If you do this with one channel
> of a stereo track your stereo picture changes dramatically, but it does in no
> way influence the gain.

But that is somehow what is happening.  Here's what the Audacity menu
explanation says about the invert effect - "This effect flips the audio samples
upside-down. This normally does not affect the sound of the audio at all."

It almost appears to me that the left and right track of my recording (coming
from the same microphone) are out of phase with each other.  For example, if I
take the left and right channels of the stereo and collapse them into a mono
track, the sound is barely audible.

But if I take the same recording, invert one of the channels and recombine them
as stereo (or mono) they are loud and clear.

Can my microphones (K6 + ME66 or ME62) be out of phase internally?

This is all over my head and experience level.

Thanks

Chris Harrison