Re: Advice on the Mid-West USA

Subject: Re: Advice on the Mid-West USA
From: "Keith Smith" smith9e499
Date: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm ((PDT))
Thanks again, Bernie.

I poked around the web after writing and found quite a bit of data -mostly
about fisheries along the North American west coast. The annual variations
and various models are something to behold, certainly specific to local
phenomena,  and understanding it in any depth definitely requires more
background expertise than I can apply.

For the casually interested, this was a useful, albeit short, read:
http://alanbetts.com/workspace/uploads/weather-seasonalclimatetransition-13=
Message: 14388912.
Subject: pdf

... particularly the paragraphs about rising winter temperatures which
I've definitely experienced over my 15 years in this location.

There's nothing quite like a brisk -35=B0C week or two to clear the nostril=
and hold the bark beetles at bay --seems to be a thing of the past.

I feel safe in betting on August ;)

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Bernie Krause <>wr=
ote:

> We began in early May (the second week), Keith. Because the seasons unfol=
> in waves, there's either no absolute fixed date, time,
> or place to begin the process. We picked that time because, since most of
> the route encompasses high desert biomes, we took our chances and were
> lucky. But with rapidly changing climate and weather over the past 30 yea=
rs
> things have changed in relationship to density and diversity of wildlife =
in
> many of these spots. For instance, at a Wyoming site first recorded
> digitally (Sony F-1) in 1981, the bird species have completely shifted to
> others more inured to a warmer high altitude and earlier spring climate;
> very different now from what was recorded 32 years ago.
>
> The 16 mile a day speculation was based on the calculated approximation o=
> the rate of shift of the earth's axis at the height of the season in the
> latitudes we wanted to cover.
>
> Bernie
>
> --
Keith Smith