Re: Advice on the Mid-West USA

Subject: Re: Advice on the Mid-West USA
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:09 am ((PDT))
We began in early May (the second week), Keith. Because the seasons unfold =
in waves, there's either no absolute fixed date, time,
or place to begin the process. We picked that time because, since most of t=
he route encompasses high desert biomes, we took our chances and were lucky=
. But with rapidly changing climate and weather over the past 30 years thin=
gs have changed in relationship to density and diversity of wildlife in man=
y of these spots. For instance, at a Wyoming site first recorded digitally =
(Sony F-1) in 1981, the bird species have completely shifted to others more=
 inured to a warmer high altitude and earlier spring climate; very differen=
t now from what was recorded 32 years ago.

The 16 mile a day speculation was based on the calculated approximation of =
the rate of shift of the earth's axis at the height of the season in the la=
titudes we wanted to cover.

Bernie

On Apr 29, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Keith Smith <> wrote:

> Hi, Bernie.
> Thanks for this tidbit. Living at N51 W114, I'm curious about the date yo=
> started at N31 (Nogales), or perhaps more practically, at what latitude
> does one consider spring to have 'arrived' (in a biological sense) on the
> day of the equinox.
> If its N31, that would put Calgary at June 13 (1360 mi north give or take
> and similar elevation to Nogales). That looks a bit ridiculous at first,
> but sadly it often 'feels' just about right!
>
> Cheers,
> Keith
>

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Bernie Krause <>w=
rote: