Re: newbie gear question - mics for binaural recording

Subject: Re: newbie gear question - mics for binaural recording
From: "jonny6pack" jonny6pack
Date: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:27 am ((PDT))
Regarding the Naiant X-X with XLR - to use them you would require something=
 like a Juicedlink or Beachtech. Both units provide phantom power to XLR mi=
cs, and allow you to connect to a 3.5mm microphone socket.

The trouble is they are bulky - larger than the PCM-M10 - and may be imprac=
tical for impromptu recordings.

As for the M10, I recently purchased one myself and it is a superb device. =
It has an extremely low noise pre-amps and recordings are very pleasant sou=
nding compared with the Zoom H2.

--- In  "verveine_78" <> w=
rote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this group and to recording so I thought I'd finally say hello=
 and ask a question at the same time!

> After reading a lot of recommendations on mobile recorders a few months a=
go I bought a Sony PCM-m10 and started recording everything from birdsong a=
nd rain on my roof to the sound of my oven door.
> I have no idea what to do with the recordings so far but I'm fascinated b=
y the way everything sounds when amplified through a microphone.
> Recently I've been looking into external stereo mics for binaural recordi=
ng and I'd be glad if someone here could share some tips and experiences wi=
th this kind of mics!

> In-Ear mics or clips - which is better in terms of handling and wind-nois=
e?
> I've looked into the Soundman models (which would be the easiest to buy h=
ere in Germany)but I've read there could be a problem with wind noise if yo=
u don't want to wear a giant fuzzy headband over them. Can you use In-Ear-b=
inaurals clipped to, say, the shoulders as an alternative and then cover th=
em with mini-windshields from Rycote e.g.?

> Then I stumbled over the Naiant X-X - has anyone used the model with the =
miniplug? I've only found reviews for the XLR / phantom power model (low se=
lf-noise) but I can't use this with the Sony PCM as far as I know. If I add=
 postage and customs those would be in the same price range as the Soundman=
 binaurals as I'm looking for low-budget microphones.