Re: newbie gear question - mics for binaural recording

Subject: Re: newbie gear question - mics for binaural recording
From: "verveine_78" verveine_78
Date: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 am ((PDT))
Hi Michael,

thanks for the reply!I've seen the Roland CS-10M as well and they are well =
within my budget. Since I mostly want to record outside I'm a bit unsure if=
 I should buy in-ear-binaurals or invest in something like the Naiant x-x o=
r the mics with clips from Core Sound or Sound Professionals which can be c=
overed (I think) with mini-windcreens.

There is always a bit of wind around here so I wonder if in-ear-binaurals a=
re suitable for recording outside at all?

Maybe there are other options of reducing wind-noise with the in-ears apart=
 from the giant fuzzy headband Soundman makes for their microphones which m=
inimizes the stealth factor significantly...

Nadine

--- In  michael trommer <> wrot=
e:

> Hi Nadine...
>
> The Roland CS-10M are a cheap, reasonably good-sounding alternative. They
> have integrated ear-phones,which facilitates monitoring and fit issues, b=
ut
> like most binaurals, are quite sensitive to wind.
>

> On 10-04-13 4:24 AM, "verveine_78" <> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to this group and to recording so I thought I'd finally say hel=
lo and
> > ask a question at the same time!
> >
> > After reading a lot of recommendations on mobile recorders a few months=
 ago I
> > bought a Sony PCM-m10 and started recording everything from birdsong an=
d rain
> > on my roof to the sound of my oven door.
> > I have no idea what to do with the recordings so far but I'm fascinated=
 by the
> > way everything sounds when amplified through a microphone.
> > Recently I've been looking into external stereo mics for binaural recor=
ding
> > and I'd be glad if someone here could share some tips and experiences w=
ith
> > this kind of mics!
> >
> > In-Ear mics or clips - which is better in terms of handling and wind-no=
ise?
> > I've looked into the Soundman models (which would be the easiest to buy=
 here
> > in Germany)but I've read there could be a problem with wind noise if yo=
u don't
> > want to wear a giant fuzzy headband over them. Can you use In-Ear-binau=
rals
> > clipped to, say, the shoulders as an alternative and then cover them wi=
th
> > mini-windshields from Rycote e.g.?
> >
> > Then I stumbled over the Naiant X-X - has anyone used the model with th=
> > miniplug? I've only found reviews for the XLR / phantom power model (lo=
> > self-noise) but I can't use this with the Sony PCM as far as I know. If=
 I add