Re: Digest Number 5765

Subject: Re: Digest Number 5765
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:03 am ((PDT))
Gentlemen,
=A0
I read the responses with much interest. I have thousands of hours of recor=
dings--many of you know that I study cognitive speech by a talking bird. Ho=
w does this apply to the topic?
=A0
In evaluating quantities of recordings, I was looking for a short cut for t=
he tedious listening,=A0review, and transcription for events. I use many of=
 the techniques discussed, but years ago I discovered a serious limitation =
to rapid evaluation. Sometimes the most interesting sound were nearly burie=
d in environmental noise. I learned that the examination of sounds have to =
be done very carefully, and in my case it takes ten times the duration of a=
 recording to evaluate it thoroughly. My situation might be unusual, but I =
just wanted to add a word of caution. The old cliche might apply, "Haste ma=
kes waste." Often it the unusual, exceptional, event that is the most inter=
esting.
=A0
Mike
Florida
http://www.parrotspeech.com/
=A0
=A0
3a=A0=A0=A0
Re: Reviewing long recordings
Tue Apr 9, 2013 12:41 pm        (PDT)        . Posted by:
"chrishails50"         chrishails50
Dear all,

Thanks to Gianni, Anders, John, Caspar, Eric and Peter (sorry if I missed a=
nyone) for your responses. ALL very much appreciated.

So there is no missing out the grunt work it seems (am I surprised ?). But =
amongst all your ideas I found most appealing:

1) using spectral view (duh - should've thought of that)
2) speeding up things (4x) using eyes and ears together
3) sampling

For my owls I would try 1) and 2). I think sampling is probably fine for da=
y time regular noises, but for an irregular night-time noise like an owl it=
 may be easy to miss between samples.

Several of you use a page skip function which is a great idea - I need to f=
ind that on Audition.

Many thanks all, your time and experience much appreciated.