Re: Digest Number 5765

Subject: Re: Digest Number 5765
From: "klangstrand" klangstrand
Date: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 am ((PDT))
I agree with you Mike!
Being mainly into soundscapes with quite alot of monotony yet swamped with =
tiny details, fastforwarding through hours of recordings to find things sti=
cking out visually isn=B4t quite my favourite pastime. There=B4s only so mu=
ch tweaking the spectrum=B4s parameters can do.
I guess it heavily relies on what one=B4s looking for and how one=B4s going=
 to use it. For singling out strong soundobjects in silent recordings, that=
 otherwise can be lost in a waveform, the spectrum can be of great help. Ye=
t it=B4s not "smart" in the sense that it knows and points out interesting =
gestures and happenings.
I guess a little bit of everything goes a long way. It=B4s never a bad thin=
g approaching a task with different tools.
Best
-Anders

--- In  Michael Dalton <=
> wrote:
>
> Gentlemen,
> =A0
> I read the responses with much interest. I have thousands of hours of rec=
ordings--many of you know that I study cognitive speech by a talking bird. =
How does this apply to the topic?
> =A0
> In evaluating quantities of recordings, I was looking for a short cut for=
 the tedious listening,=A0review, and transcription for events. I use many =
of the techniques discussed, but years ago I discovered a serious limitatio=
n to rapid evaluation. Sometimes the most interesting sound were nearly bur=
ied in environmental noise. I learned that the examination of sounds have t=
o be done very carefully, and in my case it takes ten times the duration of=
 a recording to evaluate it thoroughly. My situation might be unusual, but =
I just wanted to add a word of caution. The old cliche might apply, "Haste =
makes waste." Often it the unusual, exceptional, event that is the most int=
eresting.
> =A0
> Mike
> Florida
> http://www.parrotspeech.com/
> =A0
> =A0
> 3a=A0=A0=A0
> Re: Reviewing long recordings
> Tue Apr 9, 2013 12:41 pm        (PDT)        . Posted by:
> "chrishails50"         chrishails50
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks to Gianni, Anders, John, Caspar, Eric and Peter (sorry if I missed=
 anyone) for your responses. ALL very much appreciated.

> So there is no missing out the grunt work it seems (am I surprised ?). Bu=
t amongst all your ideas I found most appealing:

> 1) using spectral view (duh - should've thought of that)
> 2) speeding up things (4x) using eyes and ears together
> 3) sampling
>
> For my owls I would try 1) and 2). I think sampling is probably fine for =
day time regular noises, but for an irregular night-time noise like an owl =
it may be easy to miss between samples.