Re: Reviewing long recordings

Subject: Re: Reviewing long recordings
From: "Eric Fassbender" eric.fassbender
Date: Tue Apr 9, 2013 3:48 pm ((PDT))
Hey Chris,

I thought of somehow using the noise capture/footprint function to detect
similar sounds and gave that a go in Soundbooth. However, it is aimed at low
end white noise kind of sounds so didn't pick up the call of a barking owl that
I marked as 'noise'. The function still tried to remove the ambient noise (wind
in trees, sound of creek) rather than the owl call. After this unsuccessful
attempt I thought - surely there must be a software out there that can do what
you want (highlight a sound and then search for similar instances). So I typed
'sound editing find similar sounds how to' into Google and this is one of the
search results:

http://www.comparisonics.com/CSeditor.html

It seems to be able to find similar sounds in a recording, however, I am on a
Mac so cannot test it. If you have a Windows machine, maybe give it a try.

One last point on the Spectrograms. You'll likely find that once you know what
the spectrogram of the owl call looks like (i.e. you need to identify one
instance) your eyes will be able to easily pick up the pattern in the
spectrogram.

I'd be interested to hear how you're going and what works and what doesn't
after a few sessions, so maybe let us know :)

Cheers,

Eric