Reviewing long recordings

Subject: Reviewing long recordings
From: "chrishails50" chrishails50
Date: Sun Apr 7, 2013 9:20 am ((PDT))
Dear all

Related to my last question, I wonder if anyone has any great tricks for re=
viewing long duration recordings ?

I have over the years amassed enough reasonable mics and machines to have a=
t least two sets (and maybe a third) that can be left out unattended overni=
ght. I would like to survey my local woods and forests and catch some of th=
e owls that are out there that I have not yet recorded.

But my question is how to review an 8-10 hour session efficiently ? In  the=
 past I have had them playing background whilst I do other tasks, but norma=
lly I can only spend maybe 2 hours doing that. I then moved on to scanning =
the waveform files (for night-time this works I think): I apply a 100% notc=
h filter below 600Hz to get rid of passing planes and boy racers then scrol=
l the waveform (I use Audition 3)and look for peaks that could be interesti=
ng sounds. But as I have just discovered even this takes a chunk of time if=
 I have two machines running overnight.

I know a real field guy would spend the night wandering the forest with his=
 parabola, but I have a day job too.....has anyone else faced this ?

Thanks for any tips or ideas.

Chris
http://www.wildechoes.org