Re: Reviewing long recordings

Subject: Re: Reviewing long recordings
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sun Apr 7, 2013 2:52 pm ((PDT))
Anders, what exactly does "trim the view of noisefloor" do? Does it actuall=
y remove noise before calculating the spectrogram, or does it just use tric=
ks like adjusting image brightness and contrast or despeckling?

I use the spectrogram in Audacity to scan through my recordings, although t=
hey're not usually more than three hours long.

I find it takes some experimenting with spectrogram parameters to make call=
s visible, and also the horizontal and vertical scales.

I generally view a minute or two per screen, and Audacity lets you move a p=
age at a time with Page Up and Page Down. I add comments to a label track w=
hen I find something interesting. I also prepopulate another label track wi=
th the actual times every minute (e.g. 6.00am, 6.01am, etc) so I can easily=
 tell what time a call was made. (I've written an Audacity plugin for that,=
 if anyone wants it.)

An advantage of viewing spectrograms is that if you find something interest=
ing, you can quickly scan again looking for fainter instances of that call =
you may have missed now that you know what it looks like.

If I had a 24 hour recording to work through I'd consider listening to, say=
, 15 minutes of each hour, and only looking at the rest if I find something=
 interesting in those samples. If I had more recordings taking place while =
I was processing the backlog, I see no alternative to this unless I had hel=
p.

Another thing I do is to put the recordings on my phone (and more recently =
my iPad) so I can listen to them on the way to work on the train. I break t=
hem into one minute sections, named after the start time of each section, s=
o I can more easily tell where I'm up to and make notes about something I h=
eard and want to check more carefully at home. Audacity can use the time la=
bels I created to split and name the sections as it exports.

I'd like to be able to view spectrograms on the iPad, but I've found no app=
s that will display them. I've been experimenting with creating them as mov=
ies, which iPads are very good at displaying. The plan is to still break th=
em into small segments, perhaps 5 minutes long. I'd love to be able to make=
 notes directly in the movies, and I'm hoping something like iMovie will al=
low that.

Peter Shute