Re: Matching electrets

Subject: Re: Matching electrets
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Sat Apr 6, 2013 6:13 am ((PDT))
p.s - the multimeter wont really work. but you can parallel another resisto=
r to bring up the gain of capsules that are lowish in gain. (that is what t=
he big guys like nueman used to do when they matched fets (they trimmed a r=
esistor to match the fet and paired them).
=A0
umashankar

>________________________________

nd 3, with a variance of 2-3 (469-472)
>So am I right that the capsules should be within 0.1 of eachother (f.ex 47=
Message: 0.
Subject: 1 and 470.2)? If so, I need a better multimeter.
>Secondly, if this is right, am I right to assume one would be lucky to get=
 a matched pair out of a batch of ten capsules?
>Sorry for my lack of insight BTW, I=B4m working on it:-)
>Best
>-Anders
>

>--- In  "Mike Rooke" <> wrote:
>>
>> Measure pad 3 to pad 1 note the resistance, sort pairs that match to wit=
hin 0.1R or better.
>> Confirm selection in a 94 dB calibrator once the leads are attached.
>>
>> -M
>>=A0
>>
>> --- In  "rock_scallop" <john_hartog@> w=
rote:

>> > Hi Anders,
>> > I am not sure what the best or easiest way is but this is what I did t=
o make pairs from ten em172 capsules - the capsules came with leads already=
 soldered on.

>> > Number each capsule with a marker to keep them straight.
>> > Make a test fixture - stereo cable with screw terminals to easily swap=
 out capsules.=A0
>> > Record a stereo recording of each EM172 capsule beside a single refere=
nce capsule. In this case for the reference capsule I used an EM158 I had l=
ying around.
>> > Open each recording in your audio editing software (I used Adobe Audit=
ion 1.5), run a frequency analysis of a section of each, copy the data to t=
he clipboard, and paste it into a spreadsheet (I used MS Excel.) You may ne=
ed to adjust the frequency analysis resolution to limit frequency divisions=
 to a manageable number of data points. I do not know if "copy to clipboard=
" is a common feature with other editing or analysis software.
>> > In the spreadsheet, subtract the left (reference) channel from the rig=
ht (EM172) of each set to find the differences in frequency response.
>> > Plot the points to make a graph showing the differences from reference=
 of all ten capsules, and use that to decide the best pairing.

>> > It will be interesting to hear how others have done it.
>> >
>> > John Hartog
>> > oregonsoundscapes.com
>> >
>> > --- In  "kronseth" <anderslangstrand@=

. So I have received a batch of electrets, both omnis and cardioids.
ime I=B4ll have to do it myself.