Re: Matching electrets

Subject: Re: Matching electrets
From: "rock_scallop" rock_scallop
Date: Thu Apr 4, 2013 3:14 pm ((PDT))
Hi Peter,

The sound source was just some white noise from a small speaker, general ro=
om tone, and urban roar in the background. I picked sections without obviou=
s anomalies like closely passing cars or planes. I think the consistency of=
 sound source is not all that important, since the relative differences bet=
ween capsules still should remain the same. I ran the test several times an=
d that seemed to hold true.

If my set of ten was at all representative of the typical spread for the bu=
lk em172, 70% are fairly tightly grouped, 20% are somewhat outside one dire=
ction the other, and 10% are another good step outside. I did not compare c=
ombinations by ear except between the one highest and one lowest of the gro=
up, and in that case the difference between overall sensitivity and compara=
tively skewed frequency response curve was highly noticeable by ear.  It is=
 important to know that luck of the draw could make or break a balanced pai=
r.

Thinking over my method, the reference capsule could just as well be one fr=
om the testing set - it would just become the arbitrary zero line in the di=
fferences graph. Only the relative values (the differences between the diff=
erences) are important.

Mike's method would of course be a lot simpler. Checking resistance values =
was actually the first thing I tried, but at the time I did not notice the =
correlation with my differences tests. I may have stopped searching once I =
found my answers.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org

--- In  Peter Shute <> wrote:

> John, what kind of sound source did you use for the recordings?
>
> How important is this matching process? I bought four EM172s and used the=
m all in my SASS without considering trying to match them.

> Peter Shute
>

> --------------------------
> Sent using BlackBerry
>
> ________________________________
> Sent: Fri Apr 05 06:11:02 2013
> Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Matching electrets
>

> Hi Anders,
> I am not sure what the best or easiest way is but this is what I did to m=
ake pairs from ten em172 capsules - the capsules came with leads already so=
ldered on.

> Number each capsule with a marker to keep them straight.
> Make a test fixture - stereo cable with screw terminals to easily swap ou=
t capsules.
> Record a stereo recording of each EM172 capsule beside a single reference=
 capsule. In this case for the reference capsule I used an EM158 I had lyin=
g around.
> Open each recording in your audio editing software (I used Adobe Audition=
 1.5), run a frequency analysis of a section of each, copy the data to the =
clipboard, and paste it into a spreadsheet (I used MS Excel.) You may need =
to adjust the frequency analysis resolution to limit frequency divisions to=
 a manageable number of data points. I do not know if "copy to clipboard" i=
s a common feature with other editing or analysis software.
> In the spreadsheet, subtract the left (reference) channel from the right =
(EM172) of each set to find the differences in frequency response.
> Plot the points to make a graph showing the differences from reference of=
 all ten capsules, and use that to decide the best pairing.

oups.com>, "kronseth" <anderslangstrand@> wrote:

> > Hi everyone!
> > Sorry if/that this question has been raised probably infinite times.. S=
o I have received a batch of electrets, both omnis and cardioids.
> > The ones I have bought before have come in matched pairs, but this time=
 I=C3=82=C2=B4ll have to do it myself.