7. Connection questions.

Subject: 7. Connection questions.
From: "Paul Willison" wolfen49508
Date: Wed Apr 3, 2013 1:24 pm ((PDT))
Hey folks.=A0
I'm building some DIY mic's, and need some advice as far as connections go.=
 =A0In the past what I've done is direct solder mic. capsules to the raw wi=
res of a 3.5mm to split stereo cable(just cut off the existing RCA connecto=
rs and built the mic's direct). =A0 What I'd like to do this time=A0around=
=A0is build more of a modular system, possibly allowing me to use either si=
ngle or duo mic's per channel. =A0 Since you can get different lengths of s=
plit stereo cables, I'm hoping that I could use say a 10ft "man" stereo cab=
le set, and either (a), plug a single mic into each channel, or (b), plug a=
 shorter(6 inch or so) split stereo cable into each channel side and attach=
 two mics. =A0 =A0 My question is, is this a feasible idea? =A0 Would the s=
hort split cable feed into on channel(right or left), or would only ONE sid=
e of the short cables feed in(the short cables being stereo themselves). =
=A0 =A0Another question is, would the connections (plugs instead of direct
 solder), effect the quality of the recording via introduced noise, or, red=
uced gain/volume, in any way? =A0 =A0I know I could of course just build th=
em and try but the Primo 172 caps I use are $10 each, so I don't want to ex=
periment with them if I can know some of the answers before hand! =A0 =A0If=
 this works, it would allow me to configure mic's based off of need, and wo=
uld be much easier then having to build all manner of different configurati=
ons. =A0 Thanks in advanced for any advice anyone can offer!
Paul Willison