Re: minidiscs?

Subject: Re: minidiscs?
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Mon Feb 4, 2013 1:29 pm ((PST))
Now wait a minute. This just goes to show how rapidly the technology has ch=
anged and how quickly we forget. I bought my first and only Hi-MD recorder =
(MZRH1) new in 2007. That was less than six years ago, not a decade. At tha=
t time, there was nothing that could touch it for recording quality, portab=
ility and price, both for the unit and the storage media. I would say it is=
 only in the past three to four years (the PCM-M10 was released in 2009) th=
at there was a new crop of relatively inexpensive flash recorders that were=
 clearly superior to the Hi-MD recorders in every way. And still none of th=
em has as good preamps. There was a revolution in flash media about five ye=
ars ago. I bought my Minidisc recorder just before it happened.

I read somewhere that the minidisc market in Japan continued to be strong a=
fter the European and American markets had moved on to mp3 players and flas=
h recorders. But I guess now even the Japanese have moved on. It makes sens=
e now that there are so many 24bit flash recorders for under $250, although=
 the drop in quality of the Olympus recorders available in North America ha=
s me holding on to my minidisc just in case the others suddenly drop in qua=
lity or spike in price as well.

John

--- In  Scott Fraser  wrote:

> < Related news:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21297024 >
>
> This is astonishing. That Sony is just now discontinuing a product that c=
onsumers deemed obsolete a decade ago strikes me as uncharacteristically ou=
t of touch with reality on their part. What part of the marketplace is Sony=
 paying attention to that they thought MD still had traction in up to the p=
resent moment?