5. Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts

Subject: 5. Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts
From: "Robin" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:58 pm ((PST))
Raimund wrote:

> I think the odd sample sample rate of 44.1 was choosen because it matched
> somehow the modified video recording equipment that has initially been used
> for recording digital audio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate).

Yes, it derived from PCM encoded audio stored on video tape. In fact I used
such systems (designed by Sony) around 1985 to store master mixdowns. What a
mistake that turned out to be. Three years ago I managed to have them
transferred to a contemporary format, which was an interesting bit of sonic
archaeology! Coincidentally, I am currently preparing to release some of these
recodings.

I recall that 44.1KHz also has something to do with prime numbers. Or maybe
more mythology? (Numerology in this case!)

-- Robin Parmar