5. Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts

Subject: 5. Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Tue Jan 8, 2013 1:40 am ((PST))
> We're conflating two ideas, let me clarify. Phase response as altered
> by any LPF

Nope, the phase response of common FIR filters, such as those found in sigm=
a-delta A/D converters is linear (assuming their coeffients are set accordi=
ngly).

> will change the shapes of transients. Our ears are
> responsive to transients and don't just hear in terms of a frequency
> response.

When you set the sample rate to 22.05 kHz (which I believe nobody really do=
es in practise), then you will of course hear the low-pass filter effect! I=
n addition to that, you may hear aliasing effects because the steepness of =
LPF is limited. But this is not going to be an issue at 44.1 or at least at=
 48 kHz.

So, please stop confusing us!

Raimund

<*> Your email settings: