3. Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts

Subject: 3. Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts
From: "michael trommer" trommersanssoleil
Date: Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:19 pm ((PST))
Hi all =AD just thought I=B9d chime in on this one:

There is definitely a benefit to higher sample rates when recording some
sources =AD many dolphins, for example, communicate at frequencies that won=
=B9t
even register @ a 44kHz/16 bit sample rate. I have 1st hand experience of
this recording pink dolphins in the amazon =AD there were several of us usi=
ng
more or less comparable equipment, and when doing a spectographic
comparison you could clearly see that those recording at 96/24 were
capturing a lot of activity in the upper frequency ranges that the rest of
us weren=B9t. Of course, you couldn=B9t hear it unless it was pitched down,=
 but
there were some fascinating sounds...

>>> http://soundcloud.com/sans-soleil/
>>> http://michaeltrommer.bandcamp.com/