6. Re: iRig pre

Subject: 6. Re: iRig pre
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sun Jan 6, 2013 12:32 pm ((PST))
I connect an AA battery-powered ME66 to the mic input of an Olympus
LS10 simply using a simple adapter lead XLR to mini-plug, with good
results.

As a backup, I also have a small Denecke unit that will supply 48v
phantom power to two XLR mics, and connects to LS10 mic input via an
adapter lead.  The Denecke is NOT a pre-amp, simply a powering unit.
This works fairly well but connecting the 48v mics direct to SD702
has less noise.

I suppose the question with the iRig pre is, does it offer an
improvement in quality over other small units that only supply
power?  Marco's tests suggest perhaps yes?

I believe that top of the range pre-amps, when connected to small
recorders, work very well indeed, but of course cost $$$.

Vicki