2. Re: iRig pre

Subject: 2. Re: iRig pre
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:12 am ((PST))
> Do we know which devices do this properly, handing the full signal to
> the unbalanced 3.5mm input? The 3.5mm output of the ART USBDualPre
> (which is far from ideal on many levels)  is 6dB lower than the
> balanced 1/4" output, so I imagine it is just dropping the - channel.
>
> What is currently the best way to get a balanced XLR stereo signal
> into an unbalanced 3.5mm input, either mic or line? Do the SD preamps
> (mixpre, usbpre2) do this properly?

Hi John,

I don't think that this is going to be a problem in any of these devices,
because their balanced output signals have already been amplified at this
point. A drop of 6 dB would therefore not make a difference in terms of noise
(one can easily compensate for that by increasing the gain of the preamp or the
recorder).

So, my previous comment would only apply to passive phantom power supplies that
come without preamps.

Personally, I would prefer to use a recorder that already comes with phantom
power and balanced inputs rather than dealing with a separate preamp and a
pocket recorder.

Such a setup might however make sense if one had a limited budget and would
like to have the opportunity to use the pocket recorder both with and without
external phantom-powered microphones.

Refards,
Raimund