1. Re: Olympus recorder comparisons

Subject: 1. Re: Olympus recorder comparisons
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Thu Jan 3, 2013 4:29 am ((PST))
Hi Robin,
It would appear you read this differently to me. In this review I count fou=
r presses to get the thing actually recording; with the LS-1O it's two. Thi=
s may seem picky, and it's probably just me, but why make it so complicated=
? On switching on the LS-1O it opens on the record screen; a single press o=
f Record gets into level setting mode, and with a second press it's recordi=
ng. The folder option on both seems superfluous to me; well it certainly is=
 as far as nature recording goes. BUT, I'd be happy to be admonished by any=
body on this subject.
Cheers
Max

--- In  "Robin"  wrote:

> Max wrote:
>

> > OK, this isn't the review I was referring to, but it does remind me of =
which aspect of this recorder would drive me mad. If you scroll down to the=
 section on how it performs, then the second paragraph, you find what I mea=
n. What a parlava! What I particularly like about my LS-10 is that I can pr=
ess the Pause button to confirm levels then Record and I'm away. I don't ha=
ve to select a folder or go through any of the other totally ridiculous rou=
tine. Bear in mind this is only MY opinion, and is not meant as anything el=
se.

> http://www.gizmag.com/olympus-ls100-multi-track-linear-pcm-recorder/24397=
/

> ---
>
> It seems to me that the description in the Gizmag review mirrors exactly =
what one has to do with the LS-10. You select a folder, press Rec once to g=
o into record-pause mode to set your levels, then press Rec a second time t=
o initiate recording.

> Of course, if you always record in the same folder the first step is omit=
ted in practice. I assume the same is true on the LS-100; the reviewer was =
simply being thorough.

> Most of the extra features of the LS-100 (multi-track editing, chromatic =
tuner, metronome, etc.) are designed for musicians. I also think the unit i=
s butt ugly. However, it does have XLR and phantom power but I am not sure =
what current is provided or how this compares to other recorders.