1. Re: was: What is a good nature sound recording?

Subject: 1. Re: was: What is a good nature sound recording?
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:45 pm ((PST))
No Raimund, I even question you all the time.... :-)

I totally accept and support guesses and speculations, even about
nightingales and frogs! I am often on thin ice myself on this list,
but I don't want guesses and speculations to land in a kind of
"FaceBook" mentality, where everybody has to cuddle and agree to stay friends.

Yes, there has always been nonsense talk about "impedance matching".
However, as we don't use dynamic mic's and input transformers so much
any more, it doesn't affect my sleep. It was much worse 30 years ago.

Klas.

At 10:16 2012-12-25, you wrote:
> > My specific Telinga question is whether there is any use in driving
> > pip microphones from a separate battery and adding a source follower
> > with an output impedance of, say, 50 - 200 Ohms? For users of some
> > recorders I think it is, but not for others.
> > What makes a difference, when and why?
>
>Hi Klas,
>
>Yes, that should be useful. According to the manuals of the Olympus
>LS 5/10/11 recorders, their input impedance is 2 kohm, which is
>probably more or less the same as the output impedance of your PIP
>microphones. While some confused gurus may claim that this was a
>perfect impedance matching, it is actually not! It would only reduce
>the output signal level of the microphone by 6 dB. A high-to-low
>impedance converter would maintain the original output level, which
>would therefore relax the EIN requirements for the preamp.
>
> > >So, I'm not surprised why customers are getting lost with these
> > >things, when even well-respected manufacturers contribute to the
> confusion.
> >
> > I totally agree. And not only respected manufacturers, but strange
> > "debates" on the web, where parameters like mV/Pa are treated like
> > "opinions"...
>
>Well, the entire audio business seems to be infected by a strange
>virus that decomposes our brains ;-)
>
>In my opinion, the internet (and sometimes also places like this
>discussion group) is a perfect venue for high-handed gurus that are
>trying to distribute their mad ideas.
>
>I would not be surprised if some day a guru would come up with the
>statement that the world was a disk. A few followers might then
>reply "Oh yes, I ever had that suspicion. You are brilliant!" Within
>the next few days, almost everyone might then believe that bullshit...
>
>This sounds funny but the bad news is that such things really happen...
>
>The funniest think that I ever read here was that someone tried to
>convince us that a common Nightingale alarm call was the perfect
>duet performance of a bird and a frog :-)
>
>So, please don't believe everything what you read here ;-)
>
>Regards,
>Raimund

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.