Re: Noise in LS-10

Subject: Re: Noise in LS-10
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 am ((PDT))
Thanks David and Hugh!
=A0
David, I can have the owner perform that test as a check, but the machine i=
s far from me. I think it is a parasitic oscillation due to marginal design=
.
=A0
Hugh, it isn't my machine. I currently record on a Tascam solid-state recor=
der. Your comment was what I was looking for originally. The problem seems =
to be in the left channel as you indicated.=A0The difficulty is that the ma=
chine is not in warranty, and Olympus service is very dear. The owner canno=
t afford the factory rate and it is high enough to make repair impractical.
=A0
I have troubleshot the problem so that the owner might get it repaired at a=
 general electronics shop. I would think with some instructions a capable t=
echnician could damp out the oscillation. If it were here, I'd not have a p=
roblem fixing it. The other approach would be to use an external mike and p=
reamp. Is there a miniature system that is decent and inexpensive for bypas=
sing the internal mikes?
=A0
Mike
Florida
http://www.parrotspeech.com/
=A0
=A0
Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:56 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Avocet" madl74
> So can anyone think of a way to stop the oscillation without repair?
> Is there something in the menus that I might have overlooked?

Michael,

Could it be coming from a power source?

Are you near a medium wave transmitter? Check that out by putting the
running machine in a metal screen like a large metal pot or saucepan
with a lid.

If the interference is still there it is most likely a fault.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

2c
Re: Noise in LS-10
Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Hugh Livingston" oaklandonian
I have had this problem THREE times with two different LS-10s. They
can repair it; it usually is the left channel only. Hope you don't
have to pay for it. Because it will happen again.

Stick with the Sony, my advice.