Upgrading my PMD660 and ME67

Subject: Upgrading my PMD660 and ME67
From: "bwanakomba" bwanakomba
Date: Wed Oct 3, 2012 12:29 am ((PDT))
Hi all,

I have been recording bushbabies and other nocturnal critters for several y=
ears now in East Africa. My main aim is to get good enough mono recordings =
to identify species with.  I have persisted with my PMD660 and Me66&67 whic=
h has done me fine.  Although I record in noisy forest environments where m=
y target animals compete with all the other insects and frogs etc I still f=
ind my recordings to be noisy and hissy and are also effected by humidity. =
I have read that the PMD660 had noisy preamps but was advised that since I =
use quite 'noisy ' mics in this kind of environment this should not be a pr=
oblem. But I have heard some nice recordings now with stereo arrays from th=
e forests and also mono recordings. So I want to make the next leap.

I like the usability of the PMDs so I think I will go for the 661 as it is =
said to be much improved. But is it worth splashing for better shotgun mics=
 such as the MHK series mics, maybe Mkh 30 & a 60. Will I notice the differ=
ence when coupling it with a 661.  Would a pre amp help? Anyone tried this =
combo in the field. Worryingly I detect a reduced interest in the Marantz m=
achines on the web now, with all the other options out there.

I like the idea of stereo environmental recordings more and more, not just =
mono. If I start using a Mid Side array is it possible to retrieve the mono=
 track from it to use for my research, but also have the stereo picture for=
 ambient recordings? I.e. do you get 2 for one?

Thankyou in advance for any comments,

Andrew Perkin

http://www.galagoides.se/

<*> Your email settings: