Re: measuring noise levels - help needed

Subject: Re: measuring noise levels - help needed
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 am ((PDT))
> My legal advice is that I have 'an entitlement to the quiet
> enjoyment
> of my property' and that the 2-stroke motorbike noise constitutes 'a
> legal nuisance'.

Vicki,

To quote a noise level legally you need a calibrated sound level meter
and accurate distance measuremnts. Motorbikes in particular are
difficult to pin down legally.

I had a listen to your recording, and it sounds as if the owner has
knocked out the inside of the silencer in order to make more noise. It
has a typical rasping noise which moronic riders enjoy. If the
silencer has been damaged, this is grounds for a complaint and a
possible prosecution.

However, to reproduce a nuisance, what you need to do is to get
comparison recordings, preferably from your property, of normal
traffic and the motorbike, preferbly in a single recording session.
You will need to note the recording details, especially the mic and
level setting and avoid any form of compression or level control by
peaking well below maximumm. If you can, do without a bass cut in
spite of my previous advice. :-) You can then submit a direct
comparicon of the motorbike noise as compared with "normal" traffic.

If you are not making a case for exceeding a legal noise limit, an
edited track should be acceptable, especially if you have your own
"standard" noise (your car horn?) which can establish a common level
across the edit.

As for decibel levels, you can read off peak levels from acceptable
and unacceptable noises like the bad motorbike compared with a
similoar unmodified model or other motorbikes. What could be useful is
comparing the noisy one with normal motorbikes. Just keep the peaks
well short of clipping.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce