Re: Making a parabola

Subject: Re: Making a parabola
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:31 pm ((PDT))
On 22/09/2012, at 6:17 AM, Klas Strandberg wrote:

>   I really don=B9t see how you could simply put  back bass that was
> never recorded.>>
>
> Well, it "was" recorded, but at a lower level, not causing clipping.
> Then it can (somewhat) be recovered.

All,

Just a couple of comments on the topic of applying low cut to your
recording chain:

In my experience of recording lyrebirds, I once made the mistake of
having the low cut switch applied (in calm conditions, on LS10) when
recording the peculiar 'dance' calls of a Superb Lyrebird.  These
calls include a soft and rhythmic thudding sound.  I can say that,
even with a good quality recording, I was UNABLE to properly recover
those calls with post EQ.

I have also noticed that with microphones that have a low cut switch,
it can happen in some circumstances (again with lyrebirds) that loud
repeated notes can sound slightly peculiar, slightly unpleasant, when
recording with low cut switch applied.  The same calls sound
perfectly fine with no low cut applied.  And this is even though the
calls seem to be above the frequencies that the low cut is supposedly
filtering.

So my recording rule these days is, use absolutely no low cut
whatsoever, IF YOU POSSIBLY CAN.  Make better windshields!

Vicki Powys
Australia