Re: pcm m10 setup

Subject: Re: pcm m10 setup
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:17 pm ((PDT))
" Am wanting to make a soundscape of the river sounds on just such
quiet opportunities;

Russ,

If you are hearing sounds a mile off, the background is very quiet.
Myself, I would use crossed gunmics to bring in these sounds. System
noise is going to set your limit, so look for mics with a high mv per
Pascal rating - much more important than "self noise" specs if you are
using an affordable input device. Look for 25mV/Pa or higher. You can
gently clean up hiss later without losing recording quality. I use
Audacity.

I would put your money into good mics first. I've found some very good
mics on eBay, in particular I've bought more MKH-816-T mics which use
the old T-powering system and need an adaptor or T-power supply.
However, they are often good value for money.

> where do I look for cables

If you don't solder yourself, find someone who can or who can show you
how. You can then make cables of any length, 3.5mm adaptors and all
sorts of stuff quite cheaply. Mic cables are likely to be expensive as
they are made with soft butyl easy wrap sheaths and ordinary PVC twin
shielded cable is much cheaper and just as good sound-wise. My set is
3metre (10ft) mic jump leads, 15met general purpose cables and 50 and
100metre drums using garden hospipe or mains cable drums.

Go for brand name headphones and a high sensitivity type but be
prepared to be dissatisfied and upgrade later. Closed cup types are
more useful.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: