Re: pcm m10 setup

Subject: Re: pcm m10 setup
From: "Russ C" russcline1097
Date: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:33 pm ((PDT))
John;
   Thanks so much for your reply;
The area i have in mind is on the Kvichak river in the bush.  The Spring mi=
gration sounds are simply amazing especially the Trumpeter swans as they jo=
ckey for position during this season. Also in the mix will be loons and ass=
orted waterfowl(sometimes in May when the light really starts to get longer=
 it will sound like someone having a block party down the river with all th=
e racket); and i envision capturing the newly arriving warblers up close in=
 the foreground of the soundscape. Maybe even the situation will be right t=
o get the Beluga coming upriver with all their huffing and puffing chasing =
the spring smolt run.  There is limited opportunities in the winter, but so=
me wolf activity off in the distance will give some practice with the equip=
ment so will get all the stuff needed now.
   The lodge i caretake for the winter sits up on a high bank with 2 stream=
s entering the river from the opposite side about a quarter mile away; Ther=
e is this sort of natural amphitheater created where you can get an echo to=
 bounce back. The sound really carries and one can as i said easily hear a =
mile up and down; in fact with something like a boat motor it's probably at=
 least 3 miles and in the winter sound reaaallly carries on the cold.
   Think i can manage the soldering for cables, hopefully will be able to c=
ome up with appropriate materials for diy the windscreens and seem to remem=
ber some sort of box array that helped the stereo.
   Am open to whatever microphone setup will accomplish the clearest record=
ing of what's envisioned with the 1K there is to spend.
  Phantom power; the cabin (where it's warm) is probably at least a  hundre=
d feet from the spot where i want to setup the mics for the spring recordin=
g.  The wolf experiment can be accomplished from the same spot although mig=
ht be handy to have something one could pack onto a snowmachine back into t=
he country and catch the ocassional odd sound. (wonder about the cold and h=
ow batteries would handle temps going subz, but not too nuts after all i do=
n't wander much when things get below 10 down.
   What i'm hoping for is a super clean and clear capture of this
place i find so acoustically amazing. Am hoping to get the distinct upriver=
-downriver separation of the stereo sound.
  Thanks alot for all input;
        Russ
--- In  "rock_scallop" <> w=
rote:

> Hi Russ,
>
> While questions similar to yours have been asked and answered many times =
on this forum, each case is unique. And as usual the more information you c=
an provide, the easier it will be for others to help you come up with the i=
deal solution.

> You have stated your budget as $1000.  M10 ~$250; headphones ~$100; cable=
s ~$50; second-hand tripod ~$50; DIY array and windscreen system ~$50.  If =
you will require phantom power then an additional ~$100 for a portable phan=
tom power supply and an adapter cable.

> That leaves $250 each for self powered or plug-in-power microphones, or $=
200 each for phantom powered microphones, or $500 for a single-point stereo=
 mic.

> Sennheiser makes a lot of different microphones. Are there specific model=
s you have in mind? Are you open to different brands?

> Can you solder to build your own cables, and DIY the windscreen and array=
 systems?

> It sounds like a special place you visit in Alaska. Can you further descr=
ibe the sounds from this setting? What elements compose the perspective of =
hearing "well over a mile downstream"?  How do you imagine these elements w=
ill translate to your stereo playback system?

> John Hartog
> rockscallop.org
>

> --- In  "Russ C" <russcline1097@> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi All:
> > This has probably already been answered some place;
> > Am wanting a pcm m10 setup to record in stereo this really stunning sou=
ndscape in Alaska.  Where i'm at on this ridge one can hear well over a mil=
e down river and almost that much up(when the wind lays down)
> > Am wanting to make a soundscape of the river sounds on just such quiet =
opportunities; Got about a thousand to spend.  Can i get it done with Sennh=
eiser microphones at this price range, what sort of power supply, where do =
i look for cables, and what else will be needed.