8. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array

Subject: 8. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:26 pm ((PDT))
Thank you David,

After pondering your idea here for the last few hours, I'm thinking you mig=
ht be on the right track. But a few questions arise.

1) Could these phase differences possibly occur on such a minute scale and =
at such a rapid rate that the resulting "flanging" or "wavy" effect is almo=
st imperceptible to most people?

2) Would your explanation accommodate the observable fact that introducing =
boundaries/baffles into the picture almost always stabilizes the image, eli=
minating the effect?

3) Any thoughts on how this anomaly occurs in M-S arrays?

I have some possible tentative answers in mind, but I'd love to know what y=
ou and others would say.

Curt Olson

Avocet wrote:

>> Back to the the "wavy" thing, though... I surely can't be the only one o=
ut there who has noticed this phenomenon I'm straining to describe with wor=
ds like "wavy interactions," "jitter" and "inter-channel instability." I'd =
welcome a better way to put it.

> Curt,
>
> I took it to mean phase effects which make the stereo image less distinct=
 or variable. Phase differences between channels can cause "flanging" which=
 is a defined process used musically, and technically is a variable comb fi=
lter effect. Flanging often gives a "wavy" effect.

> And I'll defend "splashing" as part of a sound object which comes from th=
e wrong speaker. An example is a bird clearly singing on the left, but its =
high pitched trills coming from the right.