8. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array

Subject: 8. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm ((PDT))
Vicky, Greg,

Sorry for late answer, Greg!

I got the SASS in 2010 because I wanted a reference when working with
the different "Murie" mike's I had. When I got it, brand new, there
were already two holes in the foam for the microphone capsules. That
is where the 172's are located on the picture.

But quite soon I got more into:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mod_sass.html
approved on and used by a lot. The diaphragms are facing out.
I have also used the SASS with AT3032.

But my intention was not to evaluate "SASS" vs. "SSM", they are
actually far too different for that. Only hear the difference.
The most obvious difference is that the SASS is looking forward more
than the SSM, which was not a problem for Crown, as it was meant to
hang on a wall, anyway.

A muffled sound is not wrong, it's a matter of taste. Also,
headphones make more difference in that aspect than a reasonable
microphone, not to speak about how hard the headphones are pressing
against your ears. "Muffled" is a in my mind a word describing
"characteristics", not "quality".

Klas.