2. Re: Olympus LS5, LS7 and Sony M10 internal mics comparison.

Subject: 2. Re: Olympus LS5, LS7 and Sony M10 internal mics comparison.
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes2
Date: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 pm ((PDT))
Well, there is a cheap & quick solution for a simple array that gives bette=
sound, but is not really binaural. It is similar in concept to strapping a =
pair
of omnis to either side of a small tree, like Bernie has mentioned before.

Go down to ToysRUs or Walmart or something and get a round foam Nerf ball. =
These
are about 7" in diameter and cost about $5.00.
Attach the EM172s to either side of that foam ball with a strip of Lycra ti=
ed
around it, facing forward. Punch a hole in the bottom of the ball so that y=
ou an
mount it on a gooseneck shaft attached to an inexpensive, lightweight tripo=
d.
You really can put that foam ball on most anything since it weighs very lit=
tle.
The pull some fake monkey fur over it and you're done! The whole mc rig sho=
uld
cost less than $40.00 for everything (the fur may cost as much as the mics!=
).
Oh, and just solder the EM172 onto a proper stereo shielded cable, terminat=
ed in
a 1/8" Stereo mini-plug befoe attaching them to the ball (I found a good
small-conductor stereo cable from an old pair of headphones, but make *sure=
*
that it it shielded). Then you just plug it into your M10 and use the PIP m=
enu
option to power the mics.

I've also had good luck using the Shure MX391LP/O microflex boundary mics t=
hat I
found on ebay for ~$26.00. I made a very simple adapter using two TA4M
connectors wired appropriately to a stereo 1/8" mini-jack. Then you just pl=
ug
everything together and use a cable terminated into a 1/8" mini-plug at bot=
ends, plug it into the M10, use PIP and again you are off & running. Lightw=
eight
& low-cost. What yo do with the 391s is up to you; there are an infinity of=

choices such as the foam ball, various versions of the 'SASS' array, trapaz=
oidal
foam blocks, etc. All of these are very lightweight, compact, cost-effectiv=
e and
quick to make. Just do it!

This will definitely be better for stereo separation than the built-in M10 =
mics
and the mics I mentioned are essentially equivalent in term of self-noise t=
that of the M10.

Enjoy!

- Greg