3. Re: artifact in spectrogram created using Raven

Subject: 3. Re: artifact in spectrogram created using Raven
From: "mipartitus" mipartitus
Date: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 am ((PDT))
--- In  "laura.hilberg" <=
> wrote:

> I was very overwhelmed and discouraged by the responses I received - I wa=
nted to admit my mistake and lack of experience so that I am fully aware of=
 the limitations of my study, and listen openly to constructive criticism. =
Looking back, I would do a lot of things differently (obviously). Being tol=
d that my work was apalling and unfit for research was pretty rough, though=
. I have very little time, money, or experience, and many of you do, and I =
truly have done my best.

Laura don't be discouraged; it's a tough lesson, sure. It would have been b=
etter if you knew all this before you started recording, but now is a bette=
r time to learn than than after you submitted your paper/thesis.

I think your openness and honesty are very good qualities for a scientist; =
it is the only way forward.

Even though people have said these are bad recordings, and I said you will =
run into trouble in peer review later for using MP3, the situation is certa=
inly not hopeless, as Raimund also says. As long as you know the limitation=
s, which you now do, you can certainly still use your recordings for many r=
esearch purposes. I would just briefly mention in the Materials & Methods t=
hat the recording settings were inadvertently set to MP3 (with the bit rate=
 whatever it was), and that this precludes detailed spectral analyses, but =
allows for the things you want to measure.

And, frankly, the voice of this birds looks quite complex so I wouldn't be =
sure how informative the canonical spectral measures that people normally p=
erform would be anyway.

All the best and good luck with your study!
Gabriel