8. Re: artifact in spectrogram created using Raven

Subject: 8. Re: artifact in spectrogram created using Raven
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:20 am ((PDT))
> I've now had a listen to the recordings and all that is wrong is that
> the level is too high as I diagnosed in my last email.

David,

I agree that the recording level is a bit too high, but I'm pretty sure that
this (or a general recording level compression or limiter) is not the problem
here.

Look at the spectrogram and the waveform:
http://www.avisoft.com/scratch/NESP_song.pdf

It can be seen that the mp3 artifacts (the "holes" under the call) get worse at
those parts where the bandwidth of recorded signal is high, which then pushes
this very low-bit rate mp3 encoder to its limits. It seems that the mp3 bit
rate was set to an extremely low value that also created a low-pass filter at
6.3 kHz, as Vicki mentioned before.

Higher bit rates, lets say 192 kbit/s or above, will usually not significantly
affect common nature sound recordings.

Regards,
Raimund

<*> Your email settings: