7. Re: artifact in spectrogram created using Raven

Subject: 7. Re: artifact in spectrogram created using Raven
From: "mipartitus" mipartitus
Date: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 pm ((PDT))
Dan, what is "acceptable" changes over time, depending on what can be
reasonably expected in terms of methodology. Now it is so easy and cheap to
record in uncompressed formats that for most situations there is no good reason
to accept the possibility of compression artifacts. Of course, that doesn't
exclude the use of compressed audio in science completely, but as general rule
I would advise people to avoid it, unless you really know your way around
compression algorithms and can demonstrate that your measurements are not
affected. But even then: recordings are often also used for purposes other than
just spectral analysis. Playback experiments, for example, where previously
recorded sounds are presented to animals to test for a response. What if Laura
or someone else later wants to use her recordings for this? Mp3 and atrac are
based on characteristics of human auditory perception, but who knows what a
frog or bird hears? We cannot assume it is the same as a human (in fact we know
it isn't), so lossy compression algorithms should really be avoided.

Best, Gabriel