Re: Olympus LS-10S

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-10S
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:48 pm ((PDT))
Odd indeed if they are just repackaging the original LS-10 with no improvem=
ents. Unfortunately, the LS-5 is prohibitively expensive (for me at least) =
once you factor in exchange rates and fees and import duties and shipping o=
verseas. After all that, buying the LS-100 domestically makes more sense.

There is a gap in the Olympus product line in the US between the LS-7 ($140=
 - no line input!) and the LS-100 ($400 - XLR-P48 and all the bells and whi=
stles). I don't understand why they don't fill the gap by selling the LS-5 =
here.

John Crockett

--- In  "robin_parmar_sound" <> w=
rote:

> John Crockett wrote:
>
> > This page recently appeared on the Olympus America website:
> >
> > http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=3D1623
> >
> > Does anyone know about this "new" LS-10S recorder?
>
> The Olympus LS-10 had several deficiencies that were corrected in the LS-=
11 and LS-5, notably the lack of ability to record in mono or split files. =
It makes little sense for this model to be re-issued unless these were also=
 fixed.

> But I wonder, since the info page says this has 12h record time, the same=
 as the original LS-10, but half of that achieved on the subsequent models.=
 This new unit comes with a case but not the bundled software or remote of =
the original LS-10.

> If one wants a stripped-down package with 2GB internal memory and all the=
 firmware fixes, the LS-5 makes a lot more sense. It seems that Olympus are=
 re-issuing an inferior model just to get something else out for the US mar=
ket.