Re: Recording in the Alps

Subject: Re: Recording in the Alps
From: "anthemfin" anthemfin
Date: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 am ((PDT))
Dear Chris

Thank you for your valuable tips (great website you have as well). Man made=
 noices are in deed my biggest challenge, but I do mainly ambient recording=
s and I need to live with them. I have also been working on new DYI wind pr=
otection for the mics so I hope that works out on location.

I am flying tomorrow and the weather should be better this week at least in=
 Tirol (although rain forecasted for weekend). I try to post some recortdin=
gs once back.

Antti

--- In  "chrishails50" <> wrote=
:

> Dear Antti,
>
> I live in Western Switzerland and record in the Jura mountains as well as=
 the Swiss Alps. I do not know Austria I am afraid. My website (below)may b=
e helpful to you. I cannot advise on specific sites - it really depends on =
what you are after. But a few general lessons I have learned that may be of=
 help:

> 1. Many species have a distinct altitudinal distribution, so visit broadl=
eaf forests in the valleys as well as above the tree-line and think about s=
topping at roughly 200-300m altitude intervals in between, it will all soun=
d different.

> 2. Noise will be your biggest enemy, it echoes around valleys and reflect=
s off cliff faces etc.

> 3. I suspect aircraft will be the biggest hazard so try and get away from=
 airport approach paths (high altitude through-traffic cannot be escaped an=
d is a post-edit job I'm afraid). Even then you will find helicopters servi=
cing ski resorts for maintenance or restaurant deliveries.

> 4. Use the landscape to help you, noise from the roads in valleys goes up=
wards, but you can use a "shoulder" (not human - I mean a land contour) to =
protect you from it. You have a car so study maps (1:25,000 at least) to fi=
nd access to minor valleys away from the main arteries, there you can be mo=
st sheltered and it is quietest. Avoid or get away from the cols (mountain =
passes) - the motorcyclists love them. You can often park at the top of a c=
ol but then you need to walk 30 mins or more around the contours or on a ri=
dge trail to get away from the noise. I find it nice to get up there early =
morning, take food and drink, then simply walk with my gear in a pack and s=
et up wherever I find a good spot, you can go all day like that.

> 5. Swiss cows are up in the mountain pastures now and have bells ! I have=
 learned to accept them as part of the soundscape - its easier that way !

> 6. Mountain farms often run petrol generators for milking machines - they=
 can start about 0400h and stop around 0700h

> 7. High up the wind may be an issue with your NT4's (I don't use them but=
 they look sensitive), again you can use rocks, hollows etc to protect, but=
 do bring whatever you use for wind protection (it has been pretty stormy t=
hese past two weeks due to a jet-stream anomaly). I use a parabola a lot as=
 I like focal species, but it also helps with light wind and with isolating=
 sounds from ambient noise.

> 8. I usually take photos of where I record because I often forget where I=
 was and valleys can look the same.

> 9. Bring electrical adaptors for re-charging (I don't know Finnish plugs)=
 and enough batteries for a full day.

> 10. Carry polythene bags in case of rain, I use ziplocks and refuse bin-l=
iners in various combinations.

> Phew ! I think that is about it, my site may have some useful reference m=
aterial for id, but feel free to contact me if you get stuck or think I can=
 help with further specific questions. Good luck and enjoy !!

> Chris
> http://www.wildechoes.org
>

> --- In  "anthemfin" <antti.hemmila@> wro=
te:

> > Hello everyone
> >
> > I am heading to Austrian Alps next week to do some trekking/recording (=
sixth time trekking, first time recording as well). Just updated my gear to=
 allow more mobility (4 Rode NT1A=B4s in surround configuration, Roland R-4=
4 + DSLR gear). I am using Zillertal valley as base, but I rent a car so I =
am able to move around.

> > Has anyone done recordings in the Alps and/or can anyone share tips or =
suggestions on ambient/bird recording locations in Austrian Tirol, south Ba=
varia or Switzerland? Help must appreciated!

> > Best
> >
> > Antti Hemmil=E4
> >
> > www.sceneshd.com

<*> Your email settings: