7. Re: cable for long xlr microphone cables

Subject: 7. Re: cable for long xlr microphone cables
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:49 pm ((PDT))
> A google search including the Canare web site tells me that with quad =

> cable you definitely pair the colours together (like with like), one
> colour to pin 2, the other colour to pin 3, and the shield to pin 1.  =

> e.g. if I am using cable that has blue and white wires, then I
> combine the two blue wires together and solder to pin 3, and the two
> white wires go to pin 2.

That is correct.

You can also use quad cable to make a light-weight stereo snake, using one =
pair of blue & white for each channel, and Y-ing out to two XLRs at each en=
d. I know this is incorrect, cancels the star-quad advantage, and theoretic=
ally increases crosstalk (since the pairs are closely-wrapped together insi=
de the same shield), but in practice it works very well!

-Dan