8. Re: cable for long xlr microphone cables

Subject: 8. Re: cable for long xlr microphone cables
From: "Mike Feldman" gidney_n_cloyd
Date: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:30 pm ((PDT))
On 22 Jun, 2012, at 7:06 PM, Avocet wrote:

> > Are you saying only one blue wire would go to pin 3, and the other
> > blue wire to the ground? And one white to pin 2, the other to
> > ground?
>
> Vicki,
>
> That's the BBC way I was taught for wiring quad cable. Perhaps the
> other way also balances out strong magnetic fields but I've never had
> one of those to test out. :-)

I've always paired like colors, per Canare.  Seems to me that grounding
one each of blue and white would be like adding small capacitors to
ground,
which would kill some of the high frequencies with the roll-off point
set
by how long the cable is.  Of course, that may be exactly what the BBC
engineers wanted if the roll-off is above the audio frequencies of
interest
and you want to block RF.  But I understood that the geometry of star-
quad
windings is such that magnetically induced currents along the length
cancel.

-- Mike